Writing seminar

Slide show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gQ_DKY0Onz9lJM21vhZrK0WgXmjyM1x/view?usp=sharing

Samira Sawlani (@samirasawlani) | Powerful words, Warsan shire poems, Poem  quotes

Emulation
Life

Every day is a different struggle
Some fight as a force
I fight with my soul

Some see money
Others see family
But no one ever sees the struggle
Of survival

Most think of it as being aloof
Those that can see behind the façade just don’t care enough
They can’t sense the fear of survival
The survival of not just me but my entire family

The fight I wager against those who
Spit on my dreams and aspirations
I fight against power and corruption
I live for my dream and those I support

I wake up every day prepared for another battle 
Another struggle
Another fight
Another win

The particular poem “life” relates to me because of the struggles this character is facing. More often than not I have struggled to get past how others view me. Many people often think I have it all but don’t understand that I have had to work very hard for what I have. They see me behind a film of their own judgements and assumptions. This includes what I do, where I live, and who stands by me but isn’t limited to these three aspects. Being the youngest child I have always been compared to my sister and others but never to myself. Expectations are set regardless of what I want or dream of. Many think I have had it too easy, others think I haven’t got anything. Either way it is the same misconception just from different individuals. 
In the poem “What we have” by Warsan Shire the character is shown carrying around a  sense of continuous loss. Whether it is about her father, brother or men she is continuously mourning them. She is surrounded by a blanket of darkness that haunts her and others like hers past and future. The poem “life” is similar in the sense that there is a sense of loss and continuous struggle. The only difference is that unlike in the poem “What We Have” the character has everything yet the feeling of loss exists. This particular emotion exists due to the inability of being truly understood and accepted . However both consist of hope for the near future and believe that they deserve greatness in their lives. In the poem “Life” the character is fighting for the confidence and growth for himself and his families well being. Most see the face that he puts on for the world but not the internal war raging inside of him. They don’t truly see him for who he is; they see what he shows and not his soul. The similarity between the two poems is the willpower and courage to continue and hope for a better tomorrow regardless of what they deal with.